Wednesday, February 4, 2009

The Power of Consumption

I went to the store last Monday to purchase a new cordless drill. As I sat there contemplating the choices, I realized how similar they all were in performance and price. All would meet or exceed my needs and all that was left was to select the one that looked the coolest in my hand. All of a sudden, Ricky Carmichael raced through my head followed by Mike Alessi, Chad Reed, Nico Izzi and Ryan Dungy. What the heck!!!!! It hit me like a ton of bricks; Makita sponsors a Supercross/Motocross team! I picked up the Makita, walked to the cashier, laid down my cash, and happily purchased a new drill. As I walked to my truck, I was proud as a peacock and feeling like I had really given back to the sport. Although, I am not a huge fan of Suzuki (the team that Makita sponsors), it strangely felt great to purchase this drill.

Why did I feel this way? Was I doing something great? No. Would the people at Makita have any idea that some dude in Phoenix, AZ bought their product because he supported the sport he loved? No. It felt good because I am part of a family.

How many times have you been walking through a busy store in your favorite MX shirt and made eye contact with some other guy in his favorite MX shirt? The look is priceless. It is not the look two guys give each other when they sympathize with each other for having to endure hours of mindless shopping with their wives or girlfriends. It is a precise and enthusiastic look that says, “Dude! I too know the magical feeling of racing through the dirt and soaring through the air.”

My point is this. Be proud of who you are and what makes you part of our family. Fly your colors proudly. When I look around my shop at home, I know exactly why I have a shelf full of Amsoil that I bought for my truck because it makes Kevin Windham smooth as silk. Next to that shelf is the bag of CANIDAE All Natural Dog Food (chicken and rice, dry) because Tommy Hahn’s dog eats it (and Tommy Hahn is fast) so maybe it will work for me. Eat up my best friends! Hanging on the wall as if a prized trophy is my One Industries “Trooper” Next to my helmet are my Scott Goggles just like Kyle Cunningham wears. As I walked into the kitchen, I noticed that I still needed to put away the case of Monster Energy Drink that apparently fuels Team Green to victory after victory and in the laundry room is Surf Detergent because they used to sponsor a MX team back in the early 90’s. I am loyal to the core.

So when you buy, think about who supports you and your family and who does not. Not only will it make our sport better, it just might make you faster. See you out there!

Jason Cobb

No comments: